JOB OPPORTUNITY: OPERATIONS MANAGER
The Forest Enhancement Society of BC (FESBC) is a semi-autonomous agency of the BC government. The purposes of the Society are:
(a) to advance environmental and resource stewardship of British Columbia’s forests by:
(i) preventing and mitigating the impact of wildfires;
(ii) improving damaged or low value forests;
(iii) improving habitat for wildlife;
(iv) supporting the use of fibre from damaged and low value forests; and
(v) treating forests to improve the management of greenhouse gases; and
(b) to advocate for the environmental and resource stewardship of British Columbia’s forests.
FESBC is seeking an Operations Manager who will assist the Society deliver cost-effective and impactful programs to improve BC communities’ resilience to wildfire, forest conditions, wildlife habitat, fibre utilization, and management of forest carbon.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) or designate, the Operations Manager is responsible for:
• Program Operations and Delivery.
• Government and Stakeholder Relations.
• Annual Operating Plans.
• Contract and Financial Management; and
• Assisting with Media Communications.
• $86,200.00 to $122,100.00
The Qualifications and Experience Required
The ideal candidate for this position will likely have experience inside and outside government and a proven track record of delivering cost-effective and efficient operational programs in a natural resource setting.
The successful candidate must have:
- a degree or diploma in natural resource management or related studies, registered member the Forest Professionals British Columbia (FPBC) and a minimum of seven years of experience in resource management or an equivalent combination,
- experience developing annual operating plans, operational procedures and practices,
- experience in a program management capacity,
- experience leading and coaching diverse teams,
- experience in contract and financial management,
- demonstrated experience in stakeholder engagement and relationship building across many sectors, including provincial government agencies, local governments, First Nations, industry and non-governmental organizations, and
- at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
• expert knowledge in one or more areas of wildfire planning, silviculture, terrestrial wildlife habitat, forest fibre utilization, forest carbon, and/or
• experience in communications and media relations.
The Terms of Employment
Compensation for this position will be competitive with BC public sector salary levels. For interested BC provincial government employees, a secondment opportunity may be considered.
Regular travel within BC to meet with government agencies and stakeholders will be expected.
Successful candidate may work from home anywhere in British Columbia, but the successful candidate will be required to work as needed at FESBC office in Kamloops. Preference may be given to candidates within three hours driving time of Kamloops, BC.
The Application Process
Email a detailed resume to the FESBC Office at: email@example.com accompanied by a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and highlighting your suitability.
Applications are welcome until the position is filled; however, initial review of applications will be completed by March 8, 2024. Interviews are planned during the last two weeks of March 2024. Only those applicants invited for interviews will receive notification from the hiring panel.
For questions about the position, please call Gord Pratt at 778-765-0983 or contact via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.